I stumbled upon Danai a couple of months ago and I had no idea she was born of Zimbabwean parents at that time. Intrigued by her looks, I read the article in which she appeared and noticed a familiar name. Danai Gurira, memorize it - she is making her mark.Far from the madding crowd, Danai has been carving a niche for herself. She has been accredited with many qualifications, but that doesn’t break the bar for me. What inspired me to lover her was her simplicity and her love for telling stories. Her black skin is flawless, her lips with a hint of lip-gloss and she wears her hair short – absolutely natural.
Her new play –Eclipsed was named among the winners of the 25th edition of Helen Hayes Awards on April 5 in Washington D.C. Slowly her footprint in the world is being made. I praise her not only because she is a Zimbabwean descendant but also that she is an “African” woman with a story to tell.
Furthermore she is not limited in her story telling capabilities. Thanks to her I was exposed to the female rebels in Liberia. These were the women who finally said enough of being raped during the war and carried their AKs – heading towards the frontline…. another entry coming soon.
Danai shine on, you make Zimbabwe and the rest of the World believe, it can be done, with hard work it is possible.









No comments:
Post a Comment