‘Second Chances’ is one of the many stories, part of the ‘Untold stories’ campaign which seeks to cross borders highlighting the plight of HIV through different languages and stories but with one common thread – HIV.
I discovered this information from a very informative site called OneLove Southern Africa. I subscribed to their emails about 5 months ago to ease my conscience on HIV. I have always been outspoken on this topic, even did an HIV counseling course while studying for my degree. But, ever since I moved to the Middle East, I scratch my head each time I think of Prophylactic treatment – what does that word mean again?
Speaking amongst my peers, I also realized, HIV has lost its face for us here. Back home we always heard of someone who died after a long illness, watching TV a New Start ad would appear to disturb the previously carefree dinner environment, instead leaving us with a thick blanket of tension which people carried with them to bed questioning their bedroom habits. None of that is here.
When in Dubai your heart skips a beat when you have to go for your medical, because you understand clearly that an HIV positive result means you go back to Africa. You suddenly switch roles from being a potential expat ready to work for the country, to becoming a leprous criminal placed in isolation until you leave their holy land.
We breathe a sigh of relief when we are negative – and walk around with our residential status as a badge of honor, ‘look at me, I’m clean.’ Minutes after the heart wrenching medical test, people go back to their natural step, dreaming of the milk and honey they will shortly be receiving.
Most of the Arabs here view HIV as an African illness, and associate it with the prostitutes they frequent in Dubai’s dark alleys. It goes a step further when we incorporate multiple concurrent partners into the equation. Because Dubai is a halfway house, husbands leave their wives in their countries and come to Dubai where they live life as bachelors ‘married in home country, single in Dubai’ is what they call it and with a false sense of security that as long as you are a resident you are clean.
I have begun incorporating OneLove Southern Africa into my daily routine, it has become a standard for me to visit the site and see what else is new. I highly recommend it for you. To my readers in the UAE or anywhere for that matter, as a Southern African it us up to us to break new ground and spread the word about HIV.
During your coffee break, plant a seed that will change someone’s life.









do you want me to follow you?
ReplyDeletehttp://lovers-shore.blogspot.com
Hi Rofo,
ReplyDeleteit would be nice if you followed me, heading over to check out your spot :-)
ADT
Prophylactic treatment ?! now I know I'm ignorant about HIV !!
ReplyDeleteProphylactic treatment is a way to protect someone who may have been exposed to a disease like HIV in situation such as mother to child transmission in newborn infants of HIV-infected women or when a girl has been raped - she is treated to prevent the virus from settling in her system.
ReplyDeleteI had actually forgotten this.
So now you are not so ignorant :-)