
My parents were very young when they had us. Only now as an adult, when I look back do I realize they must have worked very hard to be able to raise a family and give us a very good life. I remember my dad always told us how people scoffed when they announced they were getting married. What could two 22 year olds possibly know about life and family?
As the man of the house, he must have made a very huge conscious decision to become the breadwinner. From our 1 room humble beginnings, to proud property owners with children who are not perfect, but on the right track with some semblance of sanity.I could go on and on about the holidays, the tattoos my dad has, his nicknames but that would not really capture what I feel in my heart.

My dad has a short temper, a very short one. We nicknamed him ‘don’t be dull’ because those were the first words he screamed at you the minute you messed up on something. ‘I’ll kick you’ was what he said to me and my brother anytime we did something ‘terrible’ to my sister. No, you did not want to see my father angry. Yet, even in all his anger, not once did he lift his hand to discipline me – why would he do that when he had mummy dearest. My mother was head of physical discipline, and she executed it very well.
I grew very close to my dad when I moved to Dubai and it was just him and I. Because of his youthful looks people always confused us for boyfriend and girlfriend. He enjoyed it because it was reassurance on his part that he was a fresh fish, but for me, there was something terribly wrong. We did a lot of dinners together, with me footing each bill.
I moved out of home, but was only a few streets away and I never worried about anything because I knew he was there. When he left, my world came crashing down, and I remember the day we drove to the airport I was all smiles, fighting hard not to cry. I cracked jokes with him as we said our last goodbyes. Only after he left was I overcome with so much sadness and loneliness.
When he arrived in Zimbabwe, he told my mother that I had become a young heartless woman because I did not cry. Little did he know I was putting on a brave face so that he does not worry about me? Also in my family I am very notorious for crying – I have my tears on standby.
My dad has taught me a lot, and sometimes I can see traits of him in me. He has taught me to appreciate and respect myself as a woman. My dad does not sugar coat things, he tells it like it is. He always wants the best for us, from holidays to shopping; our needs were always catered for. And because of that, I have learnt to maintain a high standard for any potential suitors.
My father always joked around with us saying we should be careful not to marry a struggling individual who cannot even take you on the standard holidays you grew up doing. No, I am not a misguided sophista – just daddy’s little girl.
This Father’s day I say thank you Baba for everything you have shown me, I love you from the bottom of my heart, and counting down till I can see you again and give you a very big hug.









No comments:
Post a Comment